Labels

Thursday, September 25, 2014

DIY:: Dining Area Update & Re-upholstering The Chairs

It was time to update the dining area. It just was. The brown-ness of it all was screaming for a major change! 
So this is what I envisioned:
  • Incorporating white to bring in some light
  • Metallic gold to add a glam quotient
  • And bringing in some pattern for the seats. (Floral pattern got a big No from my husband as its too girly. So we decided to go with geometric- trellis which we both like!)


Here’s the BEFORE of the dining area



Supplies: I got the fabric from Joann’s and rest of the things from Amazon



Step 1: Prime
The table surface is not smooth because of its inherent ridges. So I decided to prime before going in with the color to get an even application. 
After first layer of priming.



Step 2: Paint
After two layers of semi-gloss white paint.




Step 3: Gold leaf finish
This little tube of rub-n-buff goes a long way. I just took some between my fingers and started buffing it on the metal legs of the table and the chairs. I recommend wearing gloves while using this. I did not cover the metal completely with the gold just to give it an antique finish. It seems as if the gold is peeking through!



Step 4: Re-upholster

Here's the fabric 
Unscrew the seats and place them inverted on the fabric. Staple the sides to the seat base. Make sure to pull the fabric taut while stapling. Screw the seats back to the chair and its done!






 Here's the AFTER:




That’s it. As good as new! I love how the white makes it look so much lighter and the combination with gold is such a classic. Plus the pattern makes it so much fun!

2 comments: